What is Responsive Web Design?
Responsive web design is a method of building websites based on using a fluid, intelligent design that allows it change depending on the device that it is being viewed on.
The website “knows” what device is being used to view it, so it automatically adjusts the website presentation to give the optimum viewing experience to the user whether they are looking on a laptop/desktop, tablet or mobile device. Typically column widths and spacing will adjust, text sizes will change and the website navigation will adapt to give the best user interface.
For example, a page with 3 vertical columns on a desktop – see the what we do page – will adjust on a tablet / mobile device to show the 3 columns stacked vertically on top of each other filling the width of the screen.
If a website looks the same on a mobile device as it does on a desktop but reduced in size to fit onto the narrow width screen then it is not a responsive design.
If you have to zoom and scroll to read the website content on a mobile device then it is not a responsive design.
Use this online tool to test if your website has a responsive design,
Advantages of Responsive Webdesign
- There is only one version of the website for all devices
- It’s good for SEO – Google says so
- Produces websites that are mobile friendly
- The design and look and feel of the website is the same across all devices
- It’s becoming the standard way of building websites – you need to use it match or better your competition
- It’s future proof – A Responsive website will on new devices
- More visitor interaction on your website